Need Help With Your Application?
Hi, I’m Enrique Francis, the sales manager for bulk solvents at Chemtronics.
Today I’m going to take you through the different methods of degreasing, and how Chemtronics products can help your operation be more productive, efficient, and most importantly safer.
A degreaser is a cleaner designed to remove grease, oils, cutting fluids, corrosion inhibitors, and other contamination that you’ll find in assembly, stamping and other metal fabrication in refineries, motor repair shops, airplane hangars, medical implant fabrication and more.
When shopping for a degreaser, these are some of the characteristics to watch out for:
- Flammability – Degreasers often contain very flammable alcohols and hydrocarbon solvents.
They can be cheap and effective, but can be dangerous without proper ventilation, or around open flames, sparks like from welding.
Nonflammable cleaners are available, but come at a premium. Which to choose will depend on your application and ventilation.
- Dielectric strength – If you plan to work on powered equipment, or need to switch it on before the solvent evaporates, consider a degreaser with a high dielectric strength…
ideally over 30,000 Volts.
- Plastic / rubber compatibility – Not as much of an issue for metal cleaning, but choose your solvent cleaner carefully when cleaning something with plastics or rubber, like in gasketing and seals.
- Toxicity – Some degreasers contain toxic chemicals like N-Propyl Bromide (also called nPB), Trichloroethylene (or TCE) and Perchloroethylene (or Perc).
These solvents are cheap and clean well, but can cause problems like cancer, impaired cognitive functioning, renal failure, and more.
No Chemtronics products contain these solvents.
- Environmental issues – Some areas are more restrictive than others.
If you have to work withing strict regulative guidelines, you may have to look at VOCs or GWP (global warming potential.
Chemtronics Product Offering
Solvent degreasers are packaged in aerosol or saturated on wipes for convenience, or in gallons, 5-gallons or larger containers.
Chemtronics offers a wide variety of degreasers for all types of applications, which include manual cleaning, ultrasonic cleaning, and vapor degreasing.
If you are looking for a new degreasing solvent for your facility, we can help you through the selection and qualification process.
Chemtronics offers a state-of-the-art cleaning and analytical services to help you qualify our solvents for your process. We have in-house cleaning equipment including inline, batch, ultrasonic, and vapor-degreasing systems. This equipment allows us to duplicate your production environment.
So you have a friend in the degreasing business! Please contact me with any challenges you’re facing, and we’ll help you be more efficient, productive and safer than ever.
Ask A Technical Question
Stay up-to-date on Chemtronics news, products, videos & more.